Friday, July 24, 2009

Saturday Night Fever

Disco Fever, Studio 54, and that ever so popular shiny disco ball… I find it fascinating to watch everything old become new again. It’s almost like it never left-- but simply evolved. One of my favorite eras in fashion is from the 1970’s. I so long to wear high-wasted flares, 6 inch cork platforms and don an oversized mood ring (I did once have one-- in 3rd grade my mother gave me hers, but I of course lost it).

‘70s fashion was more than just bell-bottoms and polyester; for instance the very popular maxi dress: born in 1970, was resurrected in 2000 and still lives in many of our closets today. Yves St Laurent also introduced the ‘peasant’ look in 1976- it still rears its head from time to time and most likely will for years to come.

The ‘70s was a time accentuated by love and peace. Its fashion was not an accident; it came from some place deeper. It was organic and seeped out of a movement. It was in the souls of that movement. It was a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment