Monday, July 27, 2009

The Cold Shoulder?

As July comes to a close, I become giddy with glee as I start planning my fall purchases! One of the newest trends that the jury’s still out on for this coming season is shoulder pads.

Paying homage to this 1980’s trend that once graced the shoulders of many fashionable women of that decade, big shoulders edged onto the runways of Miss Sixty, Diane von Furstenberg, Herve Leger, BCBG, Jason Wu, Nicole Miller and Alexander Wang at Fashion Week. Shoulder pads have been positioned to make a huge come back for fall ‘09. Straight from the runway of Gucci is a strikingly glittery sequined black dress that would be perfect for NYE…

But I am still chewing on the idea of wearing an oversized blazer stuffed with 3” pads. I’ve begun to think that this may be one of those “couture” runway looks that shouldn’t be tried by mere mortals like myself, unless you fall in the 6’ tall supermodel category.



Should you still feel so inclined to try this one on: I think you may have to splurge on the high end couture Gucci dress-- I wouldn’t dare try this look on a inexpensive thrift store find. You will most likely come off looking more ridiculous than cutting edge. You don’t want people thinking you just walked off a Robert Palmer video.

Shoulder pads: bringing back the 80’s? or do we let this trend die with scrunch socks?

No comments:

Post a Comment